If you’ve been following along on our Instagram and blog, you know that here at gr8nola we’re crazy about yummy foods that pack a hefty health punch! We came up with this decadent yet healthy Charcoal Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe to satisfy our sweet tooth while fueling us with superfood health benefits.
Activated charcoal, one of the main ingredients in our Charcoal Chia gr8nola, is a powerful detoxifier that can help flush heavy metals from your system. It also gives these cookies a beautiful dark hue but doesn’t leave any strange aftertaste because activated charcoal is both odorless and tasteless.
Chia seeds, another healthy addition to these cookies, are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. They’re also rich in antioxidants (another powerful force against heavy metals and toxins in your system) and add a nutty crunch to these cookies.
When you combine those two nutritional powerhouse ingredients with flax, maca powder, and dark chocolate chunks, the result is delicious and nutritious. We can’t wait for you to try these -- Let us know what you think and be sure to tag us in your pictures on Instagram!
Charcoal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes: 12 jumbo cookies or 24 regular-sized cookies
- 1 cup ground Charcoal Chia gr8nola
- ¼ cup Charcoal Chia gr8nola
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. maca powder (optional)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp. filtered water)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup dark vegan chocolate chips or 1 vegan dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To make the flax egg, combine the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and whisk together. Let sit 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (except chocolate chunks).
- Next, add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the vegan chocolate chips or chunks.
- Using a tablespoon, a cookie scoop or your hands, form the dough into 12 large or 24 regular-sized balls and place on a cookie sheet two inches apart.
- Bake jumbo cookies 11 minutes, and regular cookies 9 minutes. Let cool 10-20 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing, as the cookies will continue to firm as they cool.
What do you think of these Charcoal Chocolate Chunk Cookies? If you love charcoal as much as we do, you may want to check out our Vegan Oreo Nice Cream Sandwich recipe or our Cookies ‘n Cream Coconut Chia Pudding Recipe.
Share your gr8nola recipes on Instagram and tag us in your creations!