Thought breakfast tacos were full of egg, beans and cheese? Think again! Valerie Fidan's Chia Seed Tacos are the perfect savory sweet breakfast with so many of our favorite cleanse friendly ingredients!
Recipe makes 8 tortillas
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 9 Tbsp. lukewarm water
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. stevia
- Pinch of sea salt
Strawberry Chia Jam:
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 tsp stevia
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoon water
- Unsweetened cashew or coconut yogurt
- cacao nibs
- fresh strawberries
For the Strawberry Chia Jam:
- Add strawberries, vanilla, sea salt, water, and stevia in a food processor and pulse 4 times.
- Transfer mixture to a sauce pan and heat over a medium heat. Bring mix to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in chia seeds. Cook the jam on low until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Make sure you stir the jam so it doesn't sitck.
- Remove the jam from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour in a glass jar or air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. The jam will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For the Tortilla:
- In a small mixing bowl, add chia seeds and warm water and mix for about 30-60 seconds, until the chia seeds become jelly.
- In a large mixing bowl add coconut, tapioca flour, vanilla bean, stevia, coconut milk, sea salt and coconut oil, and combine in the chia seeds mix. Mix until a dough forms. The batter should be somewhat like pancake batter consistency.
- Over a medium to low heat, heat up a non-stick pan and lightly grease with coconut oil and pour in 1/4 cup of the batter in the middle of the pan and use a spatula to form an even circle and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and serve on a plate.
- Top with 1 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp strawberry chia jam, 1/2 tsp cacao nibs, 1 tbsp gr8nola and 1 sliced fresh strawberry.