Calling all candy cane lovers! Take your healthy holiday baking to new heights with these vegan-friendly decadent dark chocolate peppermint brownies – we heard they’re fit for Santa’s elves themselves. We used our chocolate-y superfood Cacao Crisp gr8nola as a base, and sweetened this recipe naturally with coconut sugar and maple syrup.
Read on for the deets, and don’t forget to tag us (@gr8nola) in your pics for a chance to be featured on our social media.
Peppermint Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup Cacao Crisp gr8nola
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1¼ cup cacao powder
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 4 chia eggs (4 Tbsp. chia seeds + 12 Tbsp. water)
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- Optional Toppings:
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips (we love Endangered Species Oat Milk Chips!)
- Crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and coconut oil.
- In a blender, blend gr8nola and oats until a fine flour is achieved.
- In a medium bowl, combine the blended gr8nola and oats, coconut sugar, cacao powder, and baking powder. Stir until fully combined, then set aside.
- In a large bowl. Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, chia eggs, almond milk and peppermint extract. Stir until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and sprinkle with crushed candy canes and chocolate chips (if desired).
- Bake at the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes. The brownies will be fudgy when you remove them, but they will harden up once they cool.
- Slice and enjoy!