Once you go black… can you go back?
If you ask us -- Once you bake these ooey, gooey, fudgy, thick and decadent detox black brownies, there will DEFINITELY be no going back. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and rich in dark chocolate flavor -- these clean ingredient midnight brownies are a vegan’s dream come true.
If you haven’t integrated activated charcoal into your diet by now, this recipe is a gr8 way to start. Activated charcoal is a key detoxifying superfood that can help detoxify your gut, flush heavy metals from your body, assist with digestion, alleviate stomach issues, gas and bloating -- and more.
Each bite of these blackout brownies is infused with a combination of our Black Coco Chia gr8nola and organic activated charcoal powder, so that you can curb those chocolate cravings while cleansing your system. Sounds almost too gr8 to be true, doesn’t it?
We sweetened things naturally with a combination of coconut sugar and maple syrup, and we used raw cacao powder for added health benefits. These brownies are allergy-friendly as they are free of dairy, soy, egg, refined sugar and nuts.
Read on for the deets, and don’t forget to tag us (@gr8nola) in your creations for a chance to be featured on our social media. As always, stay #hungryforgr8ness!
Charcoal Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- 1 cup Black Coco Chia gr8nola
- 1 cup oats
- 4 chia eggs (4 Tbsp. chia seeds + 12 Tbsp. water)
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1¼ cup cacao powder
- ½ Tbsp. activated charcoal
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ cups vegan dark chocolate chips (we love Endangered Species Oat Milk Chips!)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, make the chia eggs by combining the chia seeds and water, then stirring. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a blender, blend gr8nola and oats until a fine flour is achieved.
- In a medium bowl, combine the blended gr8nola and oats, coconut sugar, cacao powder, activated charcoal and baking powder. Stir until fully combined, then set aside.
- In a large bowl. Combined the coconut oil, maple syrup and chia eggs. Stir until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the chocolate chips, and stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake at the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes. The brownies will be fudgy when you remove them, but they will harden up once they cool.
- Slice and enjoy!
Looking for more charcoal-infused recipes? Check out our Dark Chocolate Charcoal Tarts Recipe (Vegan & Raw) or our No-Bake Oreo Cookie Cups for more inspo!