We made these creamy blue-green bars with clean, plant-based ingredients in honor of Earth Day, and we just had to share them with the world!
Did you know that a plant-based diet is not only gr8 for your health, but also gr8 for the planet too? That’s right -- Opting for a plant-based diet has proven health benefits while also making our world a greener place.
Not only are these bars vegan friendly and raw, but they’re free of dairy, soy, refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. The layered shades of blue come from butterfly pea flower powder (aka “blue matcha”), and the gorgeous green hue comes from energizing matcha green tea powder. Find your zen and celebrate mother nature with every bite… you can thank us later!
Read on for the deets, and don’t forget to tag us (@gr8nola) in your pics for a chance to be featured on our social media!
Blue Matcha Earth Day Bar Recipe (Raw, Vegan)
Makes: 16 bars
- 2 cups Coco Cacao gr8nola
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups cashews (soaked for 2 hours)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (only the thick part, not the water)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 5+ Tsp. blue butterfly pea flower powder (we like Suncore Foods)
- ¼ cup vegan white chocolate (we like Pascha Chocolate)
- 2 tsp. matcha powder
- Line an 8”x8” pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the Coco Cacao gr8nola until a fine flour is achieved.
- Add the rest of the crust ingredients, and blend until fully combined. If necessary, add maple syrup and/or coconut oil by the teaspoon (this will give the crust a softer texture).
- Press the crust firmly into the prepared pan, and place in the refrigerator while you prep the filling.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the cashews, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Pour equal amounts into two separate bowls.
- In one bowl, add 1-2 tsp. butterfly pea flower powder in order to achieve a pale blue color. Whisk until fully combined.
- In the second bowl, add 3-4 tsp. (or more!) butterfly pea flower powder in order to achieve a darker blue. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the darker blue mixture onto the prepared crust, and place in the freezer to set for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer, and pour the pale blue mixture on top. Place in the freezer to set for 1 hour.
- Once the bars have set, prepare the vegan matcha white chocolate drizzle by melting the chocolate until smooth over a double boiler or in the microwave (in 15-second intervals). Whisk in the matcha powder until smooth, and then drizzle on top of the prepared bars!